Saturday, December 03, 2005


Yay! for us! Tonight was the regional Emmy Awards extravaganza. Dave and I won an Emmy for a feature we did on Zero Gravity flights out of Ft. Lauderdale! Woohoo! To see our story click on the emmy.

I remember to shoot the story we had to get up at the crack of dawn. Scratch that-- we had to be IN PLACE at the crack of dawn. Let me tell you... nothing seems worth getting up before sun... at least until I've had my first can of Coke!

When we arrived they gave us these cool space suits to wear. Dave and I couldn't resist doing out best STARGATE pose!

We boarded a Boeing 727 named G-Force 1. Up until that point, I was too engrossed in shooting to really take in and think about what was about to happen. We were about to fly 30,000 feet into the air and essentially take a nose dive. It was one of those "what the heck am I doing" moments!

The plane climbed at a 45 degree angle and I could feel the g's pushing down on me. Then, as the plane 'goes over the hump' to take the dive, that's when you feel like you are on a rollercoaster leaving your stomach behind--only you don't get it back! Feeling myself float up was an exhilarating experience! There were no windows to ruin the illusion that I was on a very important space mission! haha.

Of course, we did this many times. Taking the g's during the climb, then weightlessness. As awesome as it was the first few times...the law of diminishing returns kicked in when my stomach turned...and how quickly the alternating g to zero g bacame torture! I've always been prone to motion sickness... but I had plenty of company on this flight! Still, a very cool experience and worth the nausia and the 5am-midnight workday.

3 comments:

watchwhathappens said...

YAY! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

I finally took time to check out this cool bi'in blog! I guess you forgot to tell me on the phone about the Emmy - minor detail! Congrats! Later!

Unknown said...

Congrats on the Emmy! That's awesome. Cool Story there on the flight!

Just two weeks ago I received 2 nominations in the Mid-South Region. They were my first ever nominations. The Gala is in Late January in Nashville. I can't wait!